The Legacy Visa Credit Card is one of the most popular credit cards with over 1 million cardholders. Legacy Credit Card offers a range of features and benefits for those who are looking for a secured credit card for bad or low credit scores. This article will review some key features of the Legacy Visa Credit Card as well as the pros and cons and how to get one.
What Is The Legacy Visa Card?
The Legacy Visa Credit Card is an unsecured credit card offered by First National Bank. That means you do not need a deposit when you open the card, like several other credit cards for bad or no credit.
The Legacy Visa is an invitation-only credit card which means you need to have a pre-approval code in order to access the credit card application. It has a rewards program called it’s “Premium Club Membership” which has a $4.95 monthly fee to join but it has great perks like discounts on dining, rental cars, hotels, prescriptions and entertainment.
Legacy Visa Credit Card Benefits
The Legacy Visa Credit Card provides many benefits that will help build your credit history and improve your score while still keeping it simple and convenient. The Legacy Credit Card also has a variety of features that will benefit you in every aspect of your life such:
The Premium Club is an optional feature that costs $4.95 per month that includes discounts on dining, hotels, rental cards, prescriptions and entertainment.
Payment Protection Plan
The Legacy Visa Card offers a payment protection plan which in case of an emergency will post your minimum payment if the event you can’t.
The Payment Protection Plan costs $.89 per $100 of your monthly balance and it will only apply in cases involving disability (excludes pre-existing conditions for 12 months prior to enrollment), hospitalization, family leave under federal or state law, military service, jury duty, or unemployment (must work at least 30 hours per work for 6 months before the loss). The card issuer will cover your monthly minimum payment up to $5,000.
You must be enrolled in the payment protection plan for a minimum of 30 days and you can only file one claim every 120 days. You won’t be able to make any new charges or cash advances on your credit card while you are receiving the benefits.
Legacy Visa Credit Card Pros and Cons
- Discounts on hotels, rental cars, prescriptions and dining.
- Payment Protection Plan- if you have a qualifying emergency you can miss your monthly payment.
- Easy to qualify- some reviews state they got approved with credit score in the 500s.
- Higher Credit Limit – depending on your credit score you could a credit limit of $1,500 which is larger for credit cards with someone with bad credit.
- Pending approval can take up to a month of waiting time.
- Premium rewards club costs $4.95 per month.
- $75 Annual Fee which is billed monthly
- High APR up to 29.9%
- $25 late payment fee
- $20 authorized user fee
Is Legacy Visa A Good Credit Card?
Yes. Legacy Visa is a good starter credit card that recognizes the building of your credit history and can provide a great way to improve your score while still giving you many benefits like an automatic payment option, payments protection plan, rewards program and easy to qualify for if you have bad credit. However, the Legacy Visa Credit Card does have a higher cost to have it than other credit cards for bad credit.
With a $75 annual fee and a rewards program of $4.95 per month this card would cost you $135 per year to own not including any other fees. If you don’t see yourself using the rewards program than this card may not be the best fit for you.
How Do I Apply For A Legacy Visa?
Application for a Legacy Visa is simple.
1. Go to First National Credit Card website and fill out the form on their website where is has a green “Accept Online” button.
2. Once you “accept offer” the website will take you to a screen to enter your reservation number and access code.
3. Fill out the application which will ask you for your name, address, date of birth and income. The qualifications for the pre-approved offer are fairly standard:
– Must be a resident of the United States (provide name, address, date of birth and other identity information
-Accept the offer on or before the reply by date on the application
-Meet minimum credit criteria
-Provide income information
-Be 18 years old or older
-Meet debt-to-income requirements
-Must not have any other credit card issued by First National Credit Card
How To Login To Your Legacy Visa Credit Card Account?
1. You can login to your account by going to First National Credit Card Website and clicking the orange “account login” button. If you have any questions about signing up, you can contact Legacy Bank customer service at 800-233-0306.
2. Next you will enter in your username or password. If you do not already have an account, you can click on the “Register New User” link. Access your account where you can set up text alerts, view and pay your bill, or enroll in autopay so you never miss a payment.
How To Pay Your Legacy Credit Card Bill?
You can pay your Legacy Bank credit card bill by going to the “Make a Payment” tab. You will need to enter in how much you want to pay, and what date you would like it paid by. To make things easy for yourself, I recommend that you enroll in autopay so no payment is ever missed!
You can also make a payment through mail at the following address:
First National Credit Card
PO Box 2496
Omaha, NE 68103-2496
Or you can pay by phone by calling the First National customer service center at 888-883-9824.
What Are Alternatives to the Legacy Visa Credit Card?
If you have bad credit, there are several credit cards to choose from that will help you build your credit, have no annual fees or bad interest rates.
Here is our list of credit cards that can help you rebuild your credit:
The Chime Credit Builder Visa Secured Credit Card has no annual fee or interest, does not check your credit to apply and no minimum security deposit required. Move money from your spending account into your Credit Builder Secured Account.
Build your credit with the Chime Credit Builder card by using the Safer Credit Building which is automatically pay your balance on time every month and report to the major credit bureaus.
The Discover It Secured Credit Card has no annual fee, requires a low credit score of 300-600 and has an APR of 22.99%. Discover It Secured is one of the few secured credit cards for bad credit that offers cash back.
Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in purchases each quarter and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
The Citi Secured MasterCard has no annual fee to have the card, requires a low credit score of 300-600. This card reports monthly to all 3 major credit bureaus helping you build your credit, has a deposit minimum of $200 to to $2,500 and an APR of 22.49%.
OpenSky does not check your credit when you apply. You can pick your credit limit by making a one-time refundable deposit, the deposit minimum is $200. There is a $35 annual fee for this card with an APR of 17.39%.
What Credit Score is Needed To Get a Legacy Visa Credit Card?
You will need a good credit score to qualify for the Legacy Visa Credit Card.
However, it is worth noting that you can get a card without having any established credit history. For instance, if you have an active checking account and are over 18 years old then your chances of being approved increase significantly! Some Legacy Visa Credit Card users have stated that they were able to get the credit card with a credit score as low as 500.
Is There A Minimum Credit Limit?
Yes, the minimum credit limit for the Legacy Visa Card is $350 with the maximum credit limit of $1,500. If you start out at the minimum credit limit you can be eligible for future credit limit increases if you make your payments on time, and keep your account and credit profile in good standing.
Related: How To Increase Credit Limit
How Do I Cancel My Legacy Visa Credit Card?
A credit card is a tradeline that reports to the credit bureaus so you should never close a credit card as it can negatively impact your credit score such as lower your credit age, and lower your credit limit available to use.
However, if you do want to cancel the Legacy Visa Credit Card because you don’t want to pay the $75 annual fee, you can cancel at any time by notifying First National Bank in writing at the address on your statement and by returning all cards issued on your account or try to get the annual fee waived. If you have the Rewards Club and don’t use it or want to pay the $4.95 per month you can cancel by calling 877-827-5828.
The Legacy Visa Card has some great benefits that can be beneficial to someone who has bad credit such as the payment protection plan and rewards club. The annual fee of $75 is more expensive than other credit cards so if you aren’t using the rewards or other benefits it may not be worth the cost.
There are plenty of alternatives to the Legacy Visa Card that can help someone with bad credit by rebuilding your credit at a lower cost and not require a credit check.
Do you have bad credit, no credit, or want to learn how to become a credit expert?
Signup for the #1 DIY Credit Repair Course
The Credit Repair Course includes:
- How to find your credit report and your ACTUAL Credit Score
- A breakdown of how your credit score is calculated
- How to increase your credit score in each category
- The best tools to increase your credit score fast
- How to dispute negative items from your credit report
- Credit dispute letter templates and when to send them
- The best credit cards for your credit score
- How to use credit cards to leverage your money and business
- How to use credit cards to get free travel, bonuses and rewards
Learn how to fix your credit for life by enrolling in The Credit Repair Blueprint today!